No matter why you have to move to a new home, whether for a growing family or a job transfer or just because, it is always stressful! It doesn’t matter whether you are moving your family down the road or across the country, there are many things that you can do to simplify the moving process and make it simpler on everyone! Here are a few tips to make your move go smoothly:
- Organize and Label Your Boxes: When packing make sure that you pack reasonably. Make sure all “like” items are together. For example, you don’t want to have kitchen supplies in the middle for towels and linens this would not be a good use of your time when packing or unpacking. Pro tip: label every box accordingly. This will help you find what you’re looking for quickly and will prevent you from having to rip through boxes. This is also a great opportunity to get rid of the things you don’t need or use anymore. You don’t want to pay to move items that you know you are not going to keep when you get to the new place. So remember, have the yard sell before you move not after!
- Update Your New Home Before You Move In: We know that it’s not always feasible to get all upgrades completed before you move items in most of the time due to time constraints. If you replace floors, paint walls, etc. before you move all your large furniture, it will keep you from having to remove all your things all over again! By doing this, it will help eliminate the amount of times items are moved, decrease the likelihood of denting and damaging the items or your walls.
- Find a Moving Company You Can Trust: Unfortunately, not all moving companies are the same. Some take pride in getting families into their new home and others are more concerned with getting to the next job. If you use movers, make sure to do your research! The movers you decide to hire will oversee taking furniture apart, moving it on and off the truck, and packing it safely on the truck. The movers will be in charge of making sure your items make it in one piece to your new home. Keep in mind that this is the same for the realtor, lender, contractor, etc. you use. Here at the Stephen Cooley Real Estate Group, we pride ourselves at being the very best and can help you find the best in every industry you may need to make your moving journey spectacular.
- Acclimate Your Pets: A lot of animals, especially dogs and cats, suffer from anxiety when moving. To prevent your furry family member from any unnecessary anxiety, take them to the new home for small intervals to get them used to the new space. This can help if you introduce one room at a time so that your pet doesn’t get overwhelmed.
- Plan Everything: In the midst of a move, don’t overlook the small things. When you start the moving process, you should get a notebook and make a list of everything you need to do. Finding a new dentist, doctor, getting kids signed up for school, etc. should all be on the mind before moving day. If you are able you mark off any of these before you settle in, it will allow you and your family to really enjoy moving and you can spend more time exploring your new city!