Every house is different, but there are some common elements every homeowner can include on a regular maintenance list:
- Check the grading and drainage around the foundation
- Seal driveway and walkway cracks
- Check fencing and gates
- Check and trim trees near the house
- Check for deteriorating/damaged siding
- Check for loose, damaged, or missing roofing and flashings
- Clean all gutters and leaders
- Check weather-stripping and seals on all windows and doors
- Insulate water lines that are subject to freezing
- Check condition of the water heater
- Check ventilation openings for blockage
While this list is not comprehensive, it’s a good start to identifying some potential trouble spots in any home. Remember, these tips are only general guidelines. Since each situation is different, contact a professional if you have questions about a specific issue. More home safety and maintenance information is available online at www.housemaster.com.
This information is provided for general guidance purposes only. Neither DBR Franchising, LLC nor the local HouseMaster® franchise warrants its accuracy and assumes no liability related to its use. Contact the local franchise office and/or qualified specialists for advice pertinent to your specific house or circumstances. © Copyright 2008 DBR. Each HouseMaster franchise is an independently owned and operated business. HouseMaster is a registered trademark of DBR Franchising, LLC.